- This event has passed.
Central Nebraska Council on Alcoholism & Addictions
March 28, 2019
The Central NE Council on Alcoholism and Addictions will host Claudia Black on Thursday, March 28, 2019 for a one day workshop.
Claudia’s presentation is Unspoken Legacy: Reverberations of Trauma within the Addicted Family.
Trauma begets trauma; addiction begets addiction; and each tends to beget the other. Both reverberate throughout a family system. From her most recent book Unspoken Legacy, Claudia Black , Ph. D., will describe how addiction and trauma are interconnected, often repeated throughout the addictive family system and most importantly what must happen for healing to occur. She will discuss trauma, what influences both the vulnerability and the resilience to painful life situations. She will speak to the hidden darkness of shame that grows from unattended trauma and addiction, and offer early strategies in working with family members impacted by active addiction. Throughout the day, there will be small group sharing and debriefing of the content discussed.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify the interplay between the three areas of the brain, the brain stem, the limbic system and prefrontal cortex at times of trauma and the implications for recovery.
- Describe the addiction /trauma cycle
- Describe intergenerational repetition
- List seven layers of healing
- Describe a variety of strategic family interventions