- This event has passed.
ACA Arizona Retreat
September 7, 2018 - September 9, 2018
The 33rd annual ACA Arizona Retreat on Mingus Mountain is September 7-9th. Tickets are limited, we can only accommodate 160 people.
Our camp is in the crater of an extinct volcano, on top of the mountain above the mountain-side artsy ghost mining town of Jerome. If you are not familiar with the artist colony of Jerome, the streets are lined with gift shops, art galleries, and restaurants, where miners, gunslingers, gamblers, and cowboys roamed the streets only a century ago.
Our retreat is a balance of focused meetings, workshops, free spirited fun, fellowship, and recovery. Mingus Mountain is located 1.5 hours northwest of Phoenix Arizona in the Black Hills mountain range. The venue is about 20 minutes up the mountain from the historic artsy ghost mining town of Jerome, 2 hours from Old Town Scottsdale, and about an hour from the “mystic powers” of Sedona. For those of you from other states, that makes the retreat about 2.5 short hours from The Grand Canyon. The camp site is 121 acres of forest and meadow, surrounded by the Prescott National Forest, at an elevation of 7,600 ft. Our retreat site is near overlooks with sweeping views across the entire Verde Valley to the red rocks of Sedona and the San Francisco Peaks of Flagstaff. Unlike hotel venues, we have exclusive use of a large private serene multi-facility retreat camp, in the middle of a forest, on top of a majestic mountain.
The all-inclusive cost of this 3 day event is only $150 ($20 discount for hotel guests and campers with tents). Day passes are $80. We’ve been doing this for 32 plus years. You don’t want to miss it.
What to expect: Lots of fun, new friends, plenty of food, fellowship, with a blend of ACA recovery meetings, speakers, workshops and great people who are also pursuing recovery and self improvement. There’s campfires, music, hiking, trails, fishing, guided meditation, volleyball, frisbee golf, a meadow for games or sun bathing, plenty of shade, sports, kite flying, and anything else that sets your spirit free. When you want a ride, we even have 6-seater golf carts to transport us around the small camp. Maybe you want to go watch the hangliders jump off the mountain and soar above it? Every year we listen and improve. This event is about the fellowship. The world-class speakers, events and atmosphere are just a bonus!
Most of our speakers are themselves ACA’s, or in one program or another. Many will be announced with anonymity. Additionally, ACA and the Retreat does not endorse any speaker, form of therapy or business. We provide a forum for world-class speakers and you decide what you relate to, or not.
- New! Claudia Black will be at the 2018 retreat as our keynote speaker, she will be speaking on “Getting to Emotional Sobriety”
- New! Sarah McLean is considered one of the world’s experts in meditation, she will be presenting a workshop called “Reclaim the Power of Your Attention with Mindfulness & Meditation”
- New! Howard Peiper will be presenting on either emotional eating and nutrition for ACA’s or on one of his many workshop topics he has done, so the topic is still in the works.
- Jennifer Sobel is a yoga specialist and a therapist, she will be returning to lead a yoga session that incorporates all of the 12 steps.
- Sara G. is a meditation and yoga specialist, she will be returning to participate in our experiential workshops, and breath work for the heart meditations.
- Anne N. In addition to years of recovery, Anne is an accomplished yoga instructor and will teach us “Step 11 – Yoga Nidra”.
- Early morning Yoga to be announced.
- Early morning Tai Chi to be announced.
- Don’t forget the outdoor candlelight ACA meetings. If you get a chance to experience one at the mountain’s edge, do it.
- Multiple ACA meetings, Speaker meeting, Men’s and Women’s meetings.
- New! Experiential workshops which incorporate activities like art, music, physical activity and spending time to explore or journal how these events help us in our recovery. More details to come.
- Fun activities integrated into the weekend for your inner child to have fun relaxing, hiking, or playing without a critical parent.
- Various guided meditation and yoga sessions.
- We have two time slots for a zipline ride up on the mountain! The cost as of 8/7/2017 is being covered by the retreat, so find one of the time slots on the schedule to play and have fun.
- Evening campfires with laughter, song, and instruments. Some say that these are the best campfires they have ever attended.